Friday, October 23, 2015

20-Time Projects

Over the summer I went to a Google Apps for Education Future-Ready Summit in Chicago presented by the Ed Tech Team. I always love attending one of these events because it rejuvenates my love and passion for technology integration. The summits are getting closer to Iowa and one day I hope we have one in Des Moines.

At the summit I learned about a new trend in education. It is called 20% Time, 20-Time, and even Genius Hour. This concept originally began as an idea for Google employees.  I read the book called The 20-time Project by Kevin Brookhouser. Here is a great TedEd Talk that he did on this concept.

During last semester at UNI, I was able to take this concept and really expand upon it for a class project. Working with three of my technology integration peers, we developed ways in which this program could work for students from elementary to college.

As part of my UNI studies and degree requirements, I have chosen to take this concept deeper and learn more about the implementation challenges and successes. Shari Shaw has agreed to take on a 20-Time project with her 4th and 5th grade students. I am helping Shari get the professional development that she needs and am working along side her as we help her students create their project and work toward their goals.

Each student will have a blog where they will be expected to write posts frequently to share what they are learning about themselves and their project. The students will also be connecting with experts outside the school walls to gain more knowledge. Toward the end of the year we are going to work with the students on their own TedED style talks about their projects and what they have learned about themselves.

Some of the projects that the kids have chosen are: app development through MIT's App Inventor program, Python programming language, community gardening, learning a new language, creating resources for people with food allergies, making websites about endangered animals in order to bring awareness, and so on.

I will keep blogging about our experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment